Her Voice: “What kind of people threaten their children like that?”

(Totally disapprove of the roots of MEMRI TV. But this little girl. I don’t even care about political nonsense.)

About Nahida

Nahida writes novels she never finishes, shorter creative pieces, and bad poetry. She has interests in Islam, feminism, philosophy, astronomy, neurology, and daydreaming, and lives by the San Andreas Fault.
This entry was posted in child rights. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Her Voice: “What kind of people threaten their children like that?”

1. Svevya says:

Sad sad thing. Poor girl :(

2. janinmi says:

What really guts me is that she’s aware of all the things she mentions, *at age 11.* I hope her uncle takes good care of her and is strong in heart and mind. Blessings to them.

3. Narjis says:

This is heartbreaking. But I love that she is taking a stand, and I really hope her life gets better. Nahida, in your research, what is the Islamic position on child/forced marriage? I haven’t finished reading Qur’an yet, but I have read nothing that sanctions child marriage or forced marriage; I thought a woman’s permission is required for the contract to be valid? Please tell me they don’t pull the wali thing to justify doing things against a woman’s/girl’s will. I cannot accept that our Islam would allow for this injustice, yet it’s so prevalent in the most conservative “Islamic” societies….burns me up inside and it even threatens my faith, I’m sorry to say. That and hearing about rape victims being punished for “adultery” – grrrr ok I’m getting too angry, it’s Ramadan….. }:(

• Nahida says:

Oh, forced marriage is definitely Islamically illegal. You are right that a woman’s permission is required for the validity of the marriage contract.

Isn’t it interesting that all of the Prophet’s wives but one were older than him, and had been married previously, but all men can concentrate on is the supposed youth and virginity of the second woman he married as the idealized standard? A’isha was remarkably accomplished for many reasons–she was the first (not the first woman mind you, the first person) to transcribe Islamic rulings into a form of shari’ah. Of all her attributes, her age is the least remarkable. Contemporary men have accused her politics of being disastrous, which is hysterical, seeing as the Islamic world went to hell after these men held up their own laws in place of the A’isha’s interpretations.

The Qur’an does not sanction child marriages; A’isha, some believe, had been around 17 or 19 (I can’t remember the exact age, but late teens) rather only a child as she claimed, because the timeline surrounding the events of her life and the corresponding ages don’t match with her being initially as young. (Hadiths claiming she was 8 were narrated by a man whom scholars had classified as losing his memory, rendering his narrations highly questionable after a certain period in his life.) As for the hadith in which Aisha herself claims to have been young enough to play with clay horses–the brazen woman had reasons to exaggerate her age: when the Prophet died, those who knew him the longest were given the most influence. Consequently she might have emphasized her youth to imply she was with him for a longer period of time.

For men who detest A’isha real work in the Islamic world to refer to her age in order to sanction child marriage is something, I imagine, that would outrage her.

Men claim the wali thing is to protect the consent of women by empowering it, but the reason we even need it is a indication that men do not (already) value the voice of women as equally empowered and autonomous. The Qur’an itself makes no reference to it. Originally, I hypothesize, it was to invalidate any marriages in which the woman was kidnapped (separated from her family) by requiring the approval of that family.

4. Juriah says:

… :O :( this is sad. And what a brave, amazing child. But when I search the news there are allegations by 2 human rights group that her parents are just misunderstood, or something? I think it’s just their embarrassment on being caught pants down pawning off their child, and tried to repair their name by smearing her (Nada) :/ do you know something about it?

• Nahida says:

Yes, I heard the news that it was an act. I don’t believe it makes a difference. Even if it wasn’t true for this child, it’s true for plenty. If it was a way of getting a message across, then that’s what it did. (Although I’d rather it not have been done this way… not because it wasn’t effective, but because there’s just something about acting as though you’re in such danger [without it being real] that makes me queasy. It’s incredibly morally questionable.)

5. Rosalinda says:

What a fierce young lady, and she speaks beautiful Arabic! May God protect her and all children against abuse and forced betrothal.

6. Tec15 says:

You are aware that this has been disproved as a fake right? The girl’s uncle coached her to say it on camera for notoriety and money. And LOL at defending this nonsense as “raising awareness”. What if it was instead a fake video of a woman claiming that she was making false rape claims,in order to extort money out of men? Even if it was exposed as a fake it would just be “raising awareness” of a real issue and thus no biggie, right? In reality propaganda like this is incredibly detrimental for the cause it professes to advance.